Beginning out as a limited Liner shipping Firm with only 19 vessels, Shipping Corporation of India now emerged as the biggest Indian shipping Company. The SCI was established on October 2nd, 1961, by the amalgamation of Eastern Shipping Corporation and Western Shipping Corporation. The SCI takes pride in being a reliable and culturally active owner, placing a higher emphasis on the security of life, vessels, cargo and the environment it operates in. Today, the SCI has grown into high quality and safety-conscious organization.
The SCI has won various awards and recognition from various national and international organizations for excellence in customer satisfaction, operational efficiencies, human resource training and emergency preparedness.
Let’s unfold more about Shipping Corporation of India
- SCI’s maintained fleet includes Bulk carriers, Crude oil tankers, Product tankers, Container vessels, Passenger-cum-Cargo vessels, Phosphoric Acid / Chemical carriers, LPG / Ammonia carriers.
- The Government of India has awarded “Navratna” rank to SCI on 01.08.2008 – enhanced sovereignty and delegation of powers to the Company towards capital expenditure.
- SCI is devoted to corporate social responsibility as it has run numerous campaigns for clean water and sanitation in India.
- The SCI is today the only Indian shipping Company operating: break-bulk services, international container services, liquid/dry bulk services, offshore services, passenger services.
- The SCI controls and operates around one-third of the Indian tonnage, and has running interests in practically all areas of the shipping business; servicing both national and international trades.