The day was November 26, 1949, when the Constituent Assembly approved the Constitution of the Republic of India. The world’s greatest drafted Constitution was finalised in a comparatively short time although there was judgment at the time of the supposedly slow pace by the Drafting Committee.
However, to put things from another point of view, Australia took 9 years to draft its constitution, although it is much quicker than the Indian.
on the occasion of constitution day here are some interesting facts about Indian constitution you didn’t know.
1. The Constitution of India was handwritten by Prem Behari Narain Raizada in a smooth italic style with elegant calligraphy. Each sheet was decorated by artists of Shantiniketan.
2. When the draft was fixed and put for discussion, over 2000 amendments were made, before it was concluded.
3. The Constituent Assembly, took 2 years, 11 months and 18 days to come up with the last draft.
4. The Constitution was acknowledged on 24th January 1950, by 284 members of the Constituent Assembly.
5. Our Constitution creators took motivation from several other Constitutions while enlisting the final, that is why the Indian Constitution is frequently called a bag of borrowings.
6. The Preamble of Indian Constitution was motivated by the Preamble of the Constitution of the USA.
7. The Indian Constitution has also been recognised as one of the world’s greatest constitution because in 70, years of its approval, it had been amended only 94 times.
8. The authentic copies of the Indian Constitution, written in Hindi and English, are kept in special helium-filled cases in the Library of the Parliament of India.