The President of India Pranab Mukherjee on Monday appointed Professor David Reid Syiemlieh as the Chairman of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
The 63-year-old Dr. David Reid Syiemlieh will take office on January 4 and will be retiring on January 21, 2018.
More about David R. Syiemlieh:
- Dr. David Reid Syiemlieh from Meghalaya, as an academician and author of several books and articles on the history of North East India, is one of the most prominent historians in the northeast India and across the country
- He had hold several academic position in North Eastern Hill University (NEHU) in the past
- He was also the former vice-chancellor of Rajiv Gandhi University, Doimukh, Arunachal Pradesh
- He is credited of discovering the date of death and significant details of Tirot Sing, khasi Chief of Nongkhlaw who produce a strong resistance to British colonial power
- R Syiemlieh was an Honorary Director of the Indian Council for Social Science Research, North Eastern Regional Centre, Shillong and Member of the Research, New Delhi and Member, Indian Council for Social Science Research, New Delhi
- He was a recipient of the Charles Wallace Grant for research in the UK, India France Cultural Exchange for research in Paris, and the Senior Fulbright Fellowship for research in the US
- He was the president of the North East India History Association, 2010-2011.
Interested in General Knowledge and Current Affairs? Click here to stay informed and know what is happening around the world with our G.K. and Current Affairs section.