Now, ‘ Kamascootra ‘ to fly high

0
94

NEW DELHI: Kamasutra is clearly the most enduring image of India in the mind of foreigner.

Scoot, Singapore Airline’s long haul budget carrier, wanted a name with an Indian link for the 12th Boeing 787 Dreamliner it is inducting into its fleet mainly for being deployed on India routes. And it has decided to call it ‘Kamascootra’!

“We wanted a name with an Indian connect… something that is quirky and funny. We considered naming the plane after superstar Rajnikanth’s name like Thalaivar or something associated with Sachin Tendulkar like his jersey number or birth date. Finally we opted for Kamascootra,” said Scoot’s India head Bharath Mahadevan.

The Kamascootra will be used on the inaugural Singapore-Jaipur flight on October 2. Scoot started its India operations from Chennai and Amritsar this May. “The Singapore Airline Group will offer extremely affordable fares from Jaipur to Singapore, and other destinations like Melbourne, Sydney, Hong Kong and Bangkok. The fares will range from Rs 4,699 onwards, which is by far the most affordable in the market for the economy class…. The sale period starts on September 1 and ends on September 11,”

The Singapore Airlines (SIA) Group is now the biggest foreign airline in India in terms of number of subsidiaries operating here as well as the cities it flies to in the country. All passenger airlines of SIA group now operate to India beginning with the premium long haul SIA; budget Scoot; full service Silk Air and low cost Tiger Airways. SIA and Scoot have wide body planes that can fly long distances while Silk Air and Tiger operate the narrow body Airbus A-320s that can fly nonstop up to five hours.

In addition, SIA is 49% stake holder in full service airline Vistara with the remaining 51% being with the Tatas. Vistara is expected to begin international flights from next year.