August 31, 2016:
1) Beginning today, travel insurance cover of up to Rs. 10 lakh can be availed while a booking train tickets online by paying less than one rupee. A person booking a train ticket through the IRCTC website will be able opt for travel insurance cover for a premium of 92 paise only. Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu had in his budget speech announced that the railways will provide optional travel insurance for train journeys at the time of booking.
2) The Goa government is to convene a day-long special session of the Legislative Assembly on Wednesday to ratify the Goods and Service Tax (GST) Bill. The Constitution (122nd Amendment) Bill, 2014 on GST has been passed by the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha.
3) NSE is delisting 14 companies from its platform from August 31, as these entities are in the process of winding up their respective businesses. The companies to be delisted are — Chemox Chemical Industries, Ganapati Exports, Hamco Mining & Smelting, Mansukh Industries, Mardia Chemicals, Mardia Steel, Moolchand Exports, Motorol, Pal Peugeot and Ponni Sugars (Orissa). Prudential Capital Markets, SIV Industries, SMZS Chemicals and Vibrant Investment and Properties are also among the companies on the list. In April, an NSE public notice had named 80 companies for compulsory delisting as trading in shares of these entities had been suspended over a long period of time.
4) Today is the last day for a government-appointed panel examining a dispute over migration of gas from ONGC-held blocks in the Bay of Bengal to adjacent fields of Reliance Industries to submit its report to the Ministry of Petroleum. The single-member committee was formed in December 2015 to look into the dispute related to gas blocks of the two companies in the Krishna-Godavari basin.
5) Samsung is expected to launch the Gear S3 smartwatch today. The event will be live streamed on www.samsung.com/galaxy. The Korean company launched the Gear S2 with rotating bezels at last year’s IFA. The Gear S3 is expected to retain the circular dial design of its predecessor. It is also expected to boast an altimeter, barometer and GPS-based speedometer.