Supreme Court says Ayodhya case ‘pure land dispute’, next hearing on 14 March

New Delhi: The Supreme Court will hear the Ramjanmabhoomi-Babri Masjid case next on 14 March, as a “pure land dispute”, it ruled on Thursday.

With pleadings in the case still to be completed, a three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Dipak Misra directed the registry to complete all procedural requirements and asked the parties to bring on record all documents, exhibits, translations etc for the final arguments.

Misra said that the issue would be heard as a pure land dispute.

The court is hearing a total of 13 appeals filed against the 2010 judgment of the Allahabad high court in four civil suits. They challenge the Allahabad high court verdict that mandated a three-way division of the disputed 2.77 acre site.

The Lucknow bench of Allahabad high court had ruled in favour of partitioning the land equally among three parties—the Sunni Waqf Board, Nirmohi Akhara and the ‘Ram Lalla’ (infant Lord Ram), represented by the Hindu Mahasabha.

A civil suit for deciding the title of the property on which the Babri Masjid stood before it was demolished on 6 December 1992 had been filed before the high court. The apex court stayed this decision in 2011.

The Shia Central Waqf Board of Uttar Pradesh told the Supreme Court in August that it is amenable to building a mosque in a Muslim-dominated area, at a reasonable distance from the disputed Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid site.

It said that rather than partition the site in Ayodhya, the proposed mosque could be located at a reasonable distance from the disputed site to avoid any clashes in the future.

On 30 March, a special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court framed criminal conspiracy charges against senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders for the demolition of the Babri Masjid mosque in Ayodhya by a mob in 1992. The leaders include former deputy prime minister L.K. Advani, union minister Uma Bharti and former union minister Murli Manohar Joshi.livemint