Bangalore, 30 May, 2018: The most coveted tech skills today may not be relevant five years from now, says a skill report released by Edureka, a global e-learning platform. While the importance of re-skilling has been stressed enough, skilling with the right technologies and with more than one technology, is as important as re-skilling itself, according to the report. More importantly, the report states that continuous re-skilling is not an option anymore, but a necessity in today’s volatile job market and IT professionals need to invest in learning new skills 15-20 times to achieve career growth.
These are the key findings of ‘The fastest growing tech skills 2018’, a report released today by Edureka.
KEY REPORT FINDINGS:
- Professionals with 10-15 years of experience are driving demand for online courses in trending technologies.
- New-age technologies like AI, IoT, RPA, Blockchain are being adopted across industries and new job roles that didn’t exist a year ago are being introduced today.
- 40 and outdated is a real worry driving mid managers and senior professionals to up-skill.
- Entry-level professionals make up the second biggest category of learners after mid to senior professionals, reflective of the skill gap between industry and academia.
- IT-Software sector contributes to the biggest chunk of learners and Finance and Banking sector comes in second, although there is a big gap between the two.
- Demand for courses in trending technologies is also seen from traditional industries such as Pharma, Telecom, and Retail in addition to new-age and IT sectors.
- In India, Bangalore leads the demand for all fast-growing technologies. The other metros also drive major demand, but there is a substantial demand from Tier II and III cities too.
- Interest in training for Cloud Computing and DevOps, Data Science and Big Data Frameworks is highest among non-metros and tier 2 cities in comparison to metros.
The report is based on an analysis of 16,000 + learners from Edureka’s learner community across the world. It lists the fastest-growing technologies for 2018 and provides a road-map to re-skilling for technology professionals.
The list of fastest growing tech skills features many new entrants such as Artificial Intelligence which has seen a 100% increase in learners in the last 6 months at Edureka, and IoT, which until a year ago did not have job roles dedicated to it. Blockchain is another technology witnessing demand for hiring across geographies and has seen more than 25% of senior professionals with 15+ years’ experience up-skilling. This is in sync with the industry trend of global organisations and start-ups innovating on blockchain. Robotic Process Automation is the other new entrant with jobs being created in multiple domains.
|What Is Hot||What Is Not|
|AI and IoT||Single Big Data Framework|
|Robotic Process Automation||Manual Testing|
|Cloud Computing and DevOps||Web development|
|Data Science||Java, Linux fundamentals|
|Big Data Frameworks|
Vineet Chaturvedi, Co-Founder, Edureka, said, “At a time when the average life span of a technical skill is very low, up-skilling constantly has become a necessity for IT professionals. However, many of them are in a rush to future-proof their careers and are enrolling in courses without evaluating the longevity of the skills they are honing. A combination of skills is recommended for technology professionals looking to future-proof their careers. A core skill which is in demand also needs to be augmented with upgrades and other new technologies. Our report seeks to list the tech skills that will help professionals plan for their career growth in a dynamic, global industry.”
|Increasing Demand in the Last 6 Months|
|More than 100% increase in learners for Artificial Intelligence course at Edureka||Cloud Computing and DevOps combination has seen a steady growth of 35%|
|60% increase in demand for Edureka’s Blockchain course||60% increase in the learners for Data Science|
|78% increase in takers for Robotic Process Automation course||40% increase in learners opting for more than one Big data framework|
|200% of increase in learners for IoT|
Edureka’s report gives an in-depth understanding of which tech skills to invest in this year, evolving job trends in each technology, the industry applications, sector specific job roles, average salary, experience range of learners, learner job profiles, besides the top locations for these jobs in India and rest of the world.
Edureka is a global e-learning platform for live, instructor-led training in trending technologies. They offer short term courses supported by online resources, along with 24×7 lifetime support. Edureka has an unwavering commitment to help working professionals keep up with changing technologies. With an existing learner community in more than 100 countries, Edureka’s vision is to make learning easy, interesting, affordable and accessible to millions of learners across the globe.