An incident of gas leakage on board INS Vikramaditya took place at about 5:00 PM on 10 June 2016, whilst the ship was undergoing maintenance repairs at Karwar. Maintenance work was being undertaken in the Sewage Treatment Plant (STP) compartment. Due to inhalation of the toxic fumes, four personnel (two naval sailors and two civilian workers) were evacuated to Naval Hospital at Karwar.
Two personnel, namely Rakesh Kumar Shipwright Artificer Class 4, and Mohandas Kolambkar, an employee of M/s Royal Marine, succumbed due to gas inhalation. The next of kin of the deceased have been informed. The condition of the other two personnel is stable. The Navy has ordered an inquiry into the incident. Action has been taken to render the compartment and area on the ship safe.