Jaipur, 19 February 2018: Continuing to add newer features to its digital payments app Tez, Google India today announced the launch of a specially designed experience to help users pay their bills in just a few taps — taking seconds, not minutes without any transaction charges. Starting with support for more than 80 billers, including national and state electricity providers, gas, water, DTH and mobile postpaid bills and recharge. The new bill pay feature will include major utilities from Rajasthan including Rajasthan Vidhyut Vitran Nigam Ltd . Additionally national players like Reliance Energy, BSES and DishTV, and in total will cover all states and major metros in India.
For recurring bill payments, Tez will send users you a timely notification when their bill arrives, and users will be able to check whether they have paid a bill by simply tapping the biller’s name on their Tez home screen. Users will also be able to view all past payments grouped by bill, as well as manage bills from multiple accounts. Built to support Bharat BillPay system, for most utilities Tez will also let users get an alert when a new bill comes in.
Speaking about the launch of the new bill payments feature, Diana Layfield, VP, Payments & Commerce, Next Billion Users said “We are delighted to bring additional new functionality to our growing base of users on Tez. Today, we are adding a specially designed bill pay experience in Tez which will enable users to make a wide range of bill payments including electricity, water, gas, DTH, and insurance from the app. We hope that users will like the simplicity and time saving with the new bill pay experience on Tez.”
How does the bill payment feature work?
Customers will see different billers depending on their city and region, and users can also search for them by name. Once users have located their biller, they need to enter the number associated with their account to link it to Tez and give it an easy name to remember.
Once users have linked their account, for most utility bills Tez will automatically fetch any available bills. Users need to just tap on New Payment and then pay your bills. For every new biller you pay this month, you’ll get a scratch card with up to ₹1000.
The list of all +80 billers is available online.
Built on the Indian government-supported Unified Payments Interface (UPI), Tez is a simple and secure mobile app for digital payments, built with the goal of making digital payments as easy as using cash.
Tez: Pay billers in just a few taps
Key Features of Tez app:
- Simple transactions on the spot: Tez’s Cash Mode securely sends money from person to person with just a few taps. By pressing and holding the Cash Mode buttons at the same time, two people using Tez are able to make a secure transaction in seconds without needing to share private details like phone numbers or account numbers. This happens through Google’s proprietary Audio QR (AQR) ultrasound technology. Best of all, recipients get the amount deposited to their bank account instantly.
- Pay anyone: Starting a payment is now as easy as starting a conversation. Tez syncs with the contact list in users’ phones, in accordance with their privacy settings. This way users can start a transaction just by searching for a friend’s name or phone number. Once a contact is on Tez, users do not have to add beneficiaries or enter bank account number and IFSC codes.
- Pay Bank account, QR Code or UPI ID: If the other person is not on Tez or in the phone contact list, then users can still pay them with their bank account number or UPI ID. Transaction history with each person is grouped together like a conversation — just like how Gmail groups emails together. This makes it easier to find a particular transaction, instead of going through long statements.
- Pay at offline and online businesses: Tez is accepted by businesses that accept UPI – even shopping at the corner store or buying online.
Integrated with bank accounts: Tez is not a digital wallet requiring constant top up. Instead, Tez works with all 50+ UPI-enabled banks, so that money stays in users’ bank accounts until they need to use it. Tez users continue to earn interest from their banks and have their deposits backed by bank security guarantees. Currently there are no charges for transactions done on Tez.
- Multiple security layers: Tez is backed by multiple security levels, including dedicated security systems offered by Indian banks, the NPCI, and the Tez Shield — Google’s suite of security features, including a machine-learning-based fraud detection engine, device level protection, including a Google PIN, and no sharing of phone numbers or bank account numbers via Cash Mode. Customer service is available 24/7.
- Built for India first: Tez works on the vast majority of smartphones on both Android and iOS, in English and Hindi. The Android version is available in additional Indian languages: Bengali, Tamil, Marathi, Telugu, Kannada, and Gujarati.